.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Terrible Swede the "Earthy" Lutheran Blog vs The Largest Filipino on Earth vs "The Fluffy"
Doctrinal differences are important to the Lutherans because at the root of every false doctrine is the devil, seeking to destroy the Gospel.

Sunday, June 26, 2005 AD

The much anticipated book list...

...I've procrastinated long enough.

1. How many books do you own?

Close to a 1000 books. 200 at the apartment and the rest in storage. They get rotated on a seasonal basis or when I absolutely need it. They are a mix of theology, philosophy, mathematics, physics, and aviation (military and civilian). (Remember we have a 400 sq. foot home.) One day I hope to have a place (like my uncle) with a personal library so big you have to use one of those ladders with wheels.

2. What was the last book you bought?

The Hammer of God by some Swedish Lutheran named Bo Giertz. Summer book club at our church/parish.

3. What was the last book you read?

The History of Pi by Petr Beckman (Barnes & Noble). A nice read and graduation present. Apparently, there's a sequel. I'll get to it.

4. What are some books that have meant a lot to you?

Signs and Symbols in Christian Art
by George Ferguson.

Christianity for the Tough Minded (scroll down) by John Warwick Montgomery (Bethany Publishing). Yeah, I know I dog him because he's french. But he could dog me for my french middle name. I love the man and his books. I hope to meet this man and have him autograph my book. This is my first Lutheran book that I had purchased when visiting family in Arvada, Colorado, and I can't remember the date or which book store possibly before my confirmation. I would also recommend his book, God's Inerrant Word (you'll have to scroll down) by the same Kung Fu master. (Funny: My hottie, at first glance, thought my book Christianity for the Tough Minded was Christianity for the Touch Minded.)

This trilogy was helpful -
1of3: Getting into the Theology of Concord by Robert D. Preus (CPH).
2of3: Getting into the Story of Concord by David P. Scaer (CPH).
3of3: Getting into the Formula of Concord by Klug and Stahlke (CPH). Out of print - happy hunting!

Historical Introductions to the Book of Concord by Bente (CPH) partially not completely read. Not the biggest fan of history.

God's Yes and God's No: The Proper Distinction Between Law and Gospel by CFW Walther (CPH). This book was my first of Walther's. It was another eye opener for me. I saw myself so many times in that book as it described how I lived in my pre-Lutheran days.

The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Or was this my first Lutheran book? Ug, I can't remember.

And of course the Bible (which I've read a minimum of once a year in my pre-Lutheran days), the Small Catechism (a supreme apologetic book) and Book of Concord (only once).

Humor:
The Dysfunctional Family Christmas Songbook by Boswell and Skenazy (Broadway Books) because everyone has a normal family. Got this one from Dan the Geologist.

Other books that I love and highly recommend:

Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess by Bobby Fischer (Bantam). This was my first chess book that led me down the Dark Side of the Force. I've slain many Jedi since then.

Attacks by Erwin Rommel. Want to see the brilliance of Rommel before he was known as the Desert Fox - this is it. Accounts of him as a young officer during WWI.

Roots of Strategy: The Five Greatest Military Classics of All Time by Brigadier General Phillips. This book rocks with Sun Tzu, Vegetius, De Saxe, Frederick and Napolean.

Star Wars: Tales of the Bounty Hunters by K. Anderson. My first Star Wars book with my favorite bounty hunter Boba Fett. This goes way beyond the movies.

The Complete Works of Francis Schaeffer. These are an eye opener.
1of5: A Christian View of Philosophy and Culture
2of5: A Christian View of the Bible as Truth
3of5: A Christian View of Spirituality
4of5: A Christian View of the Church
5of5: A Christian View of the West

One more Space Trilogy (by C.S. "Jack" Lewis) - not as well known as The Chronicles but still good:
1of3: Out of the Silent Planet
2of3: Perelandra
3of3: That Hideous Strength

A Space Odyssey (by Arthur C. Clarke) - heads up - atheist:
1of4: 2001 - A Space Odyssey
2of4: 2010 - Odyssey Two
3of4: 2063 - Odyssey Three
4of4: 3001 - The Final Odyssey

I have a lot more favorites (including Tom Clancy, Anne Rice, etc) but I'm done with this book tag. I tag the Bloggin' Brothers and Vicar Chaz Lehman.

|

5 Comments:

  • I have pictures of Nick getting smashed in the junk by that mortar. I'll have to scan them and post them so Nick can be thoroughly embarassed...

    -Chris

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/27/2005 11:26 AM  

  • Ron,

    Sorry, mate, can't seem to find your email address... Mine's
    href="mailto:eric@robertson-family.org">eric@robertson-family.org
    . I'd love to hear from you more on your thoughts in the recent comments on Rob Brazier's love and blunder blog.

    By Blogger ERO, at 6/28/2005 8:35 AM  

  • I've never understood why people like the Hammer of God. I read that and found it, to say the least, rough going and incredibly boring. I guess, though, I should go back and revisit this book.

    I liked reading the rest of your list, though.

    Stay strong. Peace.

    By Blogger disgruntled world citizen, at 6/29/2005 6:41 PM  

  • Would you recommend God's No and God's Yes to someone who has converted to traditional Catholicism as a beginning to understanding the crooked path they are on?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/01/2005 1:05 PM  

  • Dear Anonymous:

    Yes, I would but do it with caution. It depends on how well you know that recent convert to RC.


    Dear World Citizen:

    Find the revised edition, that may make it less "boring" for you. I'm sorry you found it "boring".

    By Blogger The Terrible Swede, at 7/04/2005 8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home