.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Terrible Swede the "Earthy" Lutheran Blog vs The Largest Filipino on Earth vs "The Fluffy"
Doctrinal differences are important to the Lutherans because at the root of every false doctrine is the devil, seeking to destroy the Gospel.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 AD

My Anti-Union Sentiments...

...Come mainly from my fierce independency - do things on your own.

Here's a good site (suggested by my best friend - Dan the Geologist): Right To Work.

For Kansas (read brother-in-law, Nick the Dick) look here. Kansas is a right to work state.

When I worked at Cessna Aircraft Co. (my first civilian job, post-military), there was IAM (International Aerospace and Machinists) and IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers). Resist the Borg!

My little brother and I refused to become a part of the unions there. We got the usual pressure and rhetoric, "But the Union got you your pay and benefits." Whatever - I choose to work there - if I didn't like the pay and benefits I'd work somewhere else - sort of like supply-and-demand and free market concepts.

|

5 Comments:

  • hey swede. just so you know, if you haven't been reading my organist workshop blog posts, i'm giving some serious consideration and prayer to the Office of Holy Ministry, especially due to discussions with Kantor Resch and others. So thanks for your help in ruining my life. ;)

    By Blogger Sean, at 6/29/2006 5:30 PM  

  • Thanks, Sean. We're glad we can help. ;)

    I'll try to get to your posts today - I'm busy at work and of course we're busy moving.

    We officially sign our lease this afternoon.

    I get a fuckin' garage!

    By Blogger The Terrible Swede, at 6/30/2006 9:12 AM  

  • Ron, that seems like an unconventional use for a garage, but hey - whatever floats your boat!

    By Anonymous elle, at 7/02/2006 12:14 PM  

  • I STILL understand that Kansas is a 'right to work' state. I worked for an independent (non-union) small home town plumbing company where I negotiated my own pay and benefits. I started off making $8.00/hour with 15 paid days off per year and no insurance, I left with the same benefits and $9.50/hour. Earlier this year I started working for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW). I started at $11.98 with 20 paid days off per year and health insurance that is paid for by my employer. Last month after the union renegotiated our contract, I got a $0.45/hour raise. Based on the current contract, I will be making appx. $27.00/hour in just over four years. There is no way I could have gotten money like that on my own. I know I don't have to be part of a union. I chose to be because I get better pay and benefits than I have previously been able to negotiate for myself.
    Some economists argue that organized labor is bad for the economy (a topic which can be discussed at length, but is not of interest to me). It may be, but it puts food on the table and a roof over my head. I don't care much for the big picture. I am a whore for money. I would rather be union and make good money than make a political statement and make less.

    By Blogger Nick, at 7/02/2006 2:32 PM  

  • Regrettably, Iowa is also a right-to-work (such a misnomer!) state.

    Supply and demand can be wonderful- unless you're in a position in which the demand for your labor is sufficiently low that you end up with no health insurance- like an awful lot of Americans these days, including my wife and I. Kind of a bummer when you're supposed to be on multiple medications, but can't afford them because the law of supply and demand doesn't force your employer to make elementary health care possible for you.

    Sorry, but social darwinism ain't my bag. I disapprove of a great deal of the political agenda of the unions. But I'm proud of my dad's UAW activism, back in the day before the UAW's political agenda became so extreme- and I'd join a union in a flash.

    By Blogger Bob Waters, at 8/15/2006 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home